A collection of material relating to

RAMSOR

Primitive Methodist Chapel

Ramsor Jubilee Chapel Ramsor Jubilee Chapel


Links to multimap.

Medium scale map : Large scale map : Aerial view
Note that Ramsor is spelt "Ramshorn" on these maps.


INTRODUCTION

During this study, the importance of RAMSOR in Primitive Methodist history has come to light. This section is devoted to material connected with Ramsor, either by links to other material on this site, or with material included in this section.

There is now hardly anything left of the village, now called "Ramshorn" and situated about 3 miles north-east of Alton Towers. Yet this cause was the second head of a Circuit after Tunstall, and for 12 years included the Societies which became the Leek Circuit.

The present Chapel building is the second in the village, and was built in Jubilee year, 1897, opposite the original chapel in the grounds of what is now called Chapel Farm. The building is now privately owned by someone who aims to preserve it as a place of worship.


HISTORY

The primary sources of the history of Primitive Methodism included in this web site are The Life of the Venrable Hugh Bourne by Rev. Jesse Ashworth; Kendall's shorter History of the Primitive Methodist Connexion; the section on Primitive Methodism in the New History of Methodism.and W. H. Simcock Primitive Methodism in the Leek Moorlands. For convenience, references to Ramsor (rtf) have been collated in a separate page.

The first Camp Meeting was held on Sunday 31 May 1807 at Mow Cop. Amongst the Camp Meeting venues of 1808 was Ramsor, of which it was said that "thirty started for the Kingdom at once". (Ashworth, Life of Hugh Bourne, ch 7. Kendall in his only reference to Ramsor dates this as October 9th, the first occasion when William Clowes preached.

Hugh Bourne frequently visited Ramsor, perhaps once a month in 1810 judging by some of the dates in one of his articles in The Primitive Methodist Magazine. (November 1824, article on Present Salvation (rtf)., where Hugh Bourne relates events leading to the first funeral sermon he ever preached. This is of special interest to the owner of this web site since it concerns Elizabeth Warrington, the aunt of his great-grandmother Ann Warrington.)

Between 1812 and 1822, Ramsor was established as a "Branch of the Tunstall Circuit", and during 1822 was recognised as The Ramsor Circuit. The Leek PM Circuit was formed in 1838 and included Societies which had been the western section of the Ramsor Circuit. See the Circuit Family Tree and various Circuit Plans. We do not have any Ramsor Section Plan before 1821-1822, and so we do not have the exact date when the Ramsor Section was first recognised.

The Ramsor Circuit carried out much mission work. For example, the mines at Ecton and Mixon had thriving Primitive Methodist Societies, and later had their own chapels. While these were to become part of the Leek Circuit, it was Ramsor which started the work. A Quarterly Meeting Minute from Leek in 1862 gives a valuable insight into the work. Many of the place names mentioned are from the early Ramsor Circuit.

While the Ramsor Circuit continued to exist until 1932, the Tunstall District Home Missions Committee minutes of the last 30 years (to 1932) show that financial help was increasingly necessary. The minutes pay tribute to the efforts of the members of the Ramsor Circuit, and attribute the problems to the wide-spread and very rural nature of the Circuit.


Copyright position    Home    Top

Full Introduction Ramsor Folder Site Plan Latest Pages Links Copyright Home

July 2002